Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Strolling into summer

At my right is a mug of hot chocolate (complements of dorm) and at my left a newly acquired book of poems by Ogden Nash. I was introduced to him last literary night and yesterday at a book fair I thought 50 cents was a good investment to be further acquainted. I am listening to a very old playlist of my favorite Celtic artists as well as the sounds of the weather outside my window, unsure if it really wants to rain. I have only just begun to realize the semester is actually over, and it requires some amount of self restraint in resisting the urge to write out hourly schedules for the rest of the week.

The upstairs neighbors seem to be settled for the summer. Their living room is right above my bedroom (which also holds my futon), so I while I was leisurely reading, I was vaguely aware of their TV programme. I came across a poem by Nash, which has inspired this blog post. I share it with you, reader, in hopes that you too may be amused:

THE PEOPLE UPSTAIRS

The people upstairs all practice ballet.
Their living room is a bowling alley.
Their bedroom is full of conducted tours.
Their radio is louder than yours.
They celebrate the weekend all the week.
When they take a shower, your ceilings leak.
They try to get their parties to mix
By supplying their guests with Pogo sticks,
And when their orgy at last abates,
They go to the bathroom on roller skates.
I might love the people upstairs wondrous
If instead of above us, they just lived under us.

Ah, sigh. I confess I was hoping they would migrate for the summer. They seem to have built a nest. I suppose it is all part of apartment living. Some of this of course may be applicable to myself… Fortunately the one beneath me works during the day and I work on the weekends, so much of the Irish dancing he will miss…

I have done a preliminary excavation of my papers. The photo displays their nice neat stacks. I am happy to say I have recovered in the various strata all tax forms. I also have managed to get all my books onto the shelves. I have had to double load some of them. Constructing floor to ceiling shelving might be in order this summer. Along with the task of cataloging my books.

I can already tell this summer will stand out as one of the better ones.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home